Monday, September 17, 2012

great things start with a solid foundation

This past weekend we broke ground on my crafty shop, "bootsy star". We have been having perfectly lovely weather, and it kept up for us, so, yeah! On Friday we headed down to The Rebuilding Center to look for supplies. My goal is to repurpose as many materials as possible. I'd like to say that it's because I'm very green, and that is true! But it's more that I really like the look of old things better than new...not to mention they are most often better made. Anyway, so at The Rebuilding Center we found a lot of wood that would work perfect for not only my foundation, but the walls. We picked it all up for  just $150 bucks. Time to get to work! Saturday we (ok, pretty much James) put together the frame for the foundation.

wait- before we start...is my ear protection on correctly?

here is the wood....and penny
time to get started
but first penny wanted to inspect the wood...she had a few things to say

the foundation frame was put together on friday
now up on the cement block post things

Our plan for Sunday was to get the frame up onto the foundation, install the installation and then put in the subfloor. That was a lot...but we did it! We headed to Home Depot to get more materials. We ended up spending about $350 on the subfloor, insulation, deck nails, bolts and the cement blocks.
lets start by making sure this thing is level
doesn't this look tilted? it's level, really
time to bolt the frame to the blocks
insulation is in place
installing the subfloor
attaching the subfloor to the frame
ahhhhhh the foundation and floor are done
this is the view straight up from the floor of the shop
 It was a lot of work! By 6:15 on Sunday night James was sore and tired! I'm thrilled that we got a great start on my crafty shop. I'm already picking out paint colors and storage ideas for the inside. So excited!


No comments:

Post a Comment