Monday, December 10, 2012

rain and fun and rain and a roof

The weather forecast for Sunday said no rain. In my head that meant 'it is not going to rain'; I know, I'm sometimes crazy like that. Our plan for the day was to get the whole roof sheathed and then covered in tar paper.


Jen came over and after a meat filled breakfast (how do I of all people run out of eggs? well, it's got something to do with molting chickens I tell you!) and a trip to Home Depot for some scaffolding. While James got to work with the sheathing Jen and I started to fill the nail holes in the siding.

Behold James' breakfast: from the bottom up- green chili cornbread, turkey bacon, turkey breast and turkey sausage. That really happened. Jen wanted one too.
This is fuel for roofing, people

After we ate and had coffee we headed out to the cold-but-not-raining morning. First we set up the scaffolding that we rented from Home Depot.
Gah! beware!

Penny was happy to see Jen

Jen models the latest in scaffolding 

This platform is where the magic will happen

He is the king of the world!

Shaking hands for good luck

Ok, lets get this tarp off!

And here we go......

A vision of light outside my shop window

Sheathing going up

That's my man with a 4X8 sheet of plywood







Jenn patching holes and James roofing

Add caption


The rain is starting and it's only 1pm

We left to pick up lunch and this branch tried to kill us
After a lunch break Jen left (had to study for a final!) and the Lauren and Nate came to help. Friend shift change! At this point Lauren keeps her work boots at our house.

Nate was excited to see Penny...and mud

The only shot you will see of Hunter today

Nate was in the shop looking up at Lauren on the ladder

James and Lauren putting up tar paper

Lauren up on a ladder

yikes that looks big

We cut the tar paper to size as the dogs ran all over it

Nate was eating a stick or some grass or something weird

In the rain it's nice to have some refreshing water

Up the roof he goes

By about 3:30 it was starting to get dark and a steady light rain had been coming down since 1:00pm. We were cold and so wet and we were quickly loosing light. But we pressed on, wanting to finish both sides. Finally, at 6pm, and by the glow of maglites James and Lauren got the job done.
As the rain continues and darkness begins to fall

Everyone was wet but committed to progress


Isn't that quite a pitch on the roof??

Ladder jacks in place




I'm not super excited about ladder climbing, but we needed to hold the tar paper while James stapled it to the sheathing. I climbed half way up the ladder and used my head (!) and a push broom. Ha! I did help!

oh, hai. I have a broom on my head
By the time we finished it was too dark to get a good photo, but I wanted you to appreciate the rain and dark that was going on while James was way up in the sky on the roof.


I took a few better shots this morning. Note the blue sky. Really, universe??? Oh well, at least the siding and floor can dry out now.


Again I feel so grateful to have friends that so willingly give up their free time and energy to help me out with bootsy star. They have crafting privileges for life!

No comments:

Post a Comment